crabsallover highlights, key points, comments / links.
Listen to PM 19/1/11 (25'30" - 30' 30") on BBC iPlayer
Prof. Shah Ibrahim (study author) said
- half the trials didn't give data on adverse effects
- all trials but one where paid for by industry
- data of trials show benefits of taking statins
- 20-30% reduction in heart attacks and strokes
- 16% reduction in (all-cause) total mortality
|Risk Ratio 0.84 = 16% reduction in mortality due to statins|
- benefits are way ahead of any risks
- not sensible to probe trials for risks
- why not?
- severe muscle problems occur 1 per 100,000 per year
- the trials are not designed to show these risks - why not?
- 20-30 year olds should not take statins
- risk of heart attack or stroke doubles every 7 years
- 1 in 2 will have a heart attack or stroke
- 1 in 3 will die from a heart attack or stroke
- taking statins together with blood pressure lowering drugs can reduce risk of heart attacks and strokes if you are in your 50s or older
- ignor bias from fact that studies are paid by industry - they have been undertaken by reputable researchers