Pages

Sunday 7 November 2010

Why take 5 a day fruit & vegetables?

crabsallover says 'the NHS Choices video that I found here, explains why '5 a day' (5 x 80g =400g fruit & vegetables) helps to reduce 'free radical' damage (mainly in mitochondria) because of the antioxidants found in fruit and veg. Free radicals can cause cancer and cardiovascular diseases.

From the video (see full transcript below the video)

'there's worldwide research to show that eating five portions of fruit and veg a day can help to reduce the incidence of diseases such as cardiovascular disease and some cancers. It's really important because what we have in our bodies are free radicals. These are substances that cause inflammatory reactions in our body. Fruit and vegetables are rich in what we call antioxidants and research is showing that if you have 400g a day, which is equivalent roughly to five portions of fruit and veg a day, then you are protecting yourself against that free radical damage.'




Source of transcption:-

Fruit and veg are so rich in vitamins, minerals, fibre and they're low in fat,
but what's really interesting is that there's worldwide research to show
that eating five portions of fruit and veg a day
can help to reduce the incidence of diseases
such as cardiovascular disease and some cancers.
It's really important because what we have in our bodies are free radicals.
These are substances that cause inflammatory reactions in our body.
Fruit and vegetables are rich in what we call antioxidants
and research is showing that if you have 400g a day,
which is equivalent roughly to five portions of fruit and veg a day,
then you are protecting yourself against that free radical damage.
Each portion represents one serving or one portion of your five a day.
I don't know. I thought an apple was one portion.
I don't know, maybe... I honestly don't know, actually.
Take... No. I just eat two pieces of fruit a day.
And try and eat as much vegetables as possible.
I guess one cup of vegetables is one portion.
I don't know.
For example, one portion of your five a day
could be a banana or a pear,
an apple, an orange,
roughly a handful of grapes or cherries or strawberries.
When it comes to vegetables, beans and pulses count once a day,
so three tablespoons of any beans,
such as baked beans or chickpeas or kidney beans.
No matter how much you have, they will count once a day.
The reason for that is that they don't have quite the same range of nutrients
as the other fruits and vegetables.
A bowl of salad, for example,
or in terms of salad vegetables,
something like a five-centimetre stick of cucumber,
not quite a whole carrot there, an average tomato.
Other vegetables, around three tablespoons of any type of vegetable
will count towards your five a day, that would be one portion each,
and an average-sized glass of unsweetened fruit juice
again will count just once a day, no matter how much you drink,
because you have stripped the fruit of its natural fibre.
In terms of dried fruit also,
about a heaped tablespoon of any dried fruit counts,
and even canned fruit will count, three tablespoons.
Recently I've been eating five a day veg and fruit
because I've got two young children.
Obviously we're trying to give them a decent diet,
so it's made me think more.
I just try and dump as much into a stir-fry as possible.
Dinner's usually quite a vegetabley-type meal.
So probably two for dinner in the evening.
Lunchtime, try to get a salad.
In terms of snacks in the office,
it's really quite easy to have an apple or a pear in your desk drawer
or perhaps to take some dried fruit and have that on the way to work.
Or have a smoothie is another way if you've missed breakfast,
which I'm not advocating, but that's another way to try and have something.
I never used to, but now I find I've got an apple or a banana in my bag,
which I'm getting used to now,
so rather than go and get my customary Mars bar, I snack on that.
I'm probably eating better now than I did all my life, really.
If you're worried about trying to incorporate five a day into your diet,
just start with one more.
So look at what you're eating, add one more and gradually add another one.
It could be as simple as just taking a piece of fruit to work
or having some dried fruit in your desk next to you
or having some salad with your sandwich at lunchtime.

No comments: