"This house wants to defeat ageing entirely"
Dr Aubrey de Grey (proposing) and Professor Colin Blakemore (opposing)
A public debate organised by Oxford University Science Society, held in the Sheldonian Theatre in Oxford on April 25th, 2012.
Professor Colin Blakemore:
- 26 mins: 'Aubrey de Grey is offering you is eternal life without the pain, this is snakeoil and dangerous snakeoil. There are two main reasons why you should reject the idea of defeating ageing completely:-
- the mission is utterly unrealistic and is a distraction of the hard and costly task of preventing and curing disease whatever the age at which the disease happens
- if this miracle ever did happen it would be a disaster for humanity and the planet
- 122 years breakthrough would bring about a cascade of problems for humanity
- germ & stem cells live forever, by what mechanism?
- debate is NOT about the timescale but does "This house wants to defeat ageing entirely"?
- 17mins: 100k die every day from ageing (out of 150k from all deaths)