- aspirin can reduce cancer growth or metastasis
- aspirin works to prevent metastasis in the same way it reduces heart attacks and strokes. Aspirin works by platelet inhibition. There are far fewer platelets roaming the body assisting cancer to metastasis
- aspirin might help in treatment of some cancers
- stopping of aspirin after diagnosis of cancer could be detrimental
- treat 10,000 cancer patients with aspirin for cost of one treated with Herceptin
- Rothwell P et al, Effect of daily aspirin on risk of cancer metastasis: a study of incident cancers during randomised controlled trial, Lancet (2012) DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(12)60209-8
- Rothwell, P et al, Short-term effects of daily aspirin on cancer incidence, mortality, and non-vascular death: analysis of the time course of risks and benefits in 51 randomised controlled trials, Lancet (2012) DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(11)61720-0
- Algra A & Rothwell P, Effects of regular aspirin on long-term cancer incidence and metastasis: a systematic comparison of evidence from observational studies versus randomised trials, Lancet Oncology (2012) DOI:10.1016/S1470-2045(12)70112-2
- http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/news_stories/2012/120321.html Oxford Uni - quotes by Rothwell
- http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9707000/9707637.stm - Today, R4
- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17456182 - This Morning, BBC
- http://www.itv.com/news/update/2012-03-21/professor-rothwell-aspirin-could-stop-cancer/ - ITV
- Guardian: http://www.capp3.org/eurl.axd/808b70474b1a9942baf56293d7ccf5d6/
- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17465853 - BBC, Fergus Walsh
- http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2012/03/21/aspirin-and-cancer-the-picture-becomes-clearer/ - Cancer Research UK
- http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/shortcuts/2012/mar/21/can-aspirin-reduce-cancer-risk - Ian Sample
- http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/health/aspirin-cuts-cancer-death-risk-by-37-per-cent-7579698.html - Evening Standard
- http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/243171.php - Medical News Today by Catharine Paddock
- http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/03march/Pages/daily-aspirin-cuts-cancer-risk.aspx - NHS Choices - the usual high quality analysis
- http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2012/03/sara-reardon-reporter-aspirin.html - New Scientist - also mentions Aspirin+NO+H2S releasing variant which might overcome gut bleeding problems of aspirin.
- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2120765/Do-doctors-daily-aspirin-As-revealed-drug-fights-cancer-heart-attacks-ask-experts-THEY-use-it.html?ito=feeds-newsxml - Daily Mail - Do doctors take aspirin daily?
- http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/26/how-much-aspirin-is-too-much-of-a-good-thing/ - New York Times - pros/cons of daily aspirin use. NB. Kashfi is developing a NO-H2S-Aspirin (NOSH1) to replace aspirin.
- http://www.bendbulletin.com/article/20120328/NEWS0107/203280350/ - Nearly a third of middle-aged Americans regularly take aspirin in the hope of preventing a heart attack or a stroke
- http://www.marinij.com/marinnews/ci_20287157/dr-bill-elliott-aspirin-shows-promise-fight-against - aspirin cancer blockbuster
More Peter Rothwell Aspirin research blogged since 2010 by crabsallover.