Tuesday, 14 October 2008

Blood Pressure - Am I normal? by Vivienne Parry

iPlayer - Listen to 21st October 2008.

a BP level of 140/90 is a high blood pressure and is the threshold to use drugs. 10 years ago high blood pressure was 160/100. Normal blood pressure is 115mm but only 15% of UK population have this pressure. The other 85% of the UK Population has a BP of over 115. At 115 to 140 you need to take preventative measures (not drugs) to reduce blood pressure. Remember the lower the blood pressure - the better - the longer you will live! Exercise, reduce salt and lose weight - can reduce blood pressure.

Most people in UK eat 10-11g salt per day. Government recommends 6g/day. As age increases the ability to get rid of salt reduces. In Orangutan - no increase in blood pressure when they get older. Increase in BP arises from our lifestyle.

In November 2006 crabsallover blood pressure was 130/70 mmHg.
.. a blood pressure of 135 over 85 may be “normal” but someone with this reading is twice as likely to have a heart attack or stroke as someone with a reading of 115 over 75.

No comments: